Connect with us

US News

Gov. Cuomo Calls Coronavirus ‘European virus’ During Briefing, Zero Reporters in the Room Push Back

Cuomo did not receive any pushback from the press over his strange label.

Published

on

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo labeled the coronavirus, which originated in China, the “European virus,” during Monday’s press briefing.

None of the press in the room pushed back on his bizarre remark.

The Democrat governor was explaining that coronavirus cases are going down in the state when he used the label.

“New York, the cases are now on the decline. You look at the rest of the nation outside of New York, the cases are still on the incline. We took the worst situation in the nation and changed the trajectory. So, now we are on the decline. The rest of the nation, the cases are still on the incline. That is because of what the people in this state did,” Cuomo said.

“If you had said when we started this, yes we have more cases than anyone else, yes we had this European virus attack us and nobody expected it, but we are not only going to change our trajectory, we’re going to change the trajectory more dramatically than anyplace else in the nation,” he added.

The virus, of course, originated in Wuhan, China. Not Europe.

Cuomo argued that the virus came from Europe in January and “no one knew” about it, to justify his phrasing.

“The geniuses now say the virus came from Europe in January and February. And you know what? No one knew. With all the sophistication, with all the public health organizations, with that whole alphabet soup of agencies, nobody knew the virus was coming from Europe,” Cuomo said.

Cuomo’s basis for this claim is some research that indicates New York received infected travelers from northern Italy, who were infected by Chinese travellers.

President Donald Trump faced massive backlash earlier this year for using the phrase “Chinese virus,” which people claimed to be racially insensitive — despite a multitude of viruses and diseases being named by where they originated.

Even so, the president announced that he would be moving away from using the term.

“It came from China. … I don’t regret it,” he said. “Everyone knows it came out of China, but I decided we shouldn’t make any more of a big deal out of it. I think I made a big deal. I think people understand it.”

Trump also took to Twitter to urge people not to blame Asians for the virus.

“It is very important that we totally protect our Asian American community in the United States, and all around the world. They are amazing people, and the spreading of the Virus is NOT their fault in any way, shape, or form. They are working closely with us to get rid of it. WE WILL PREVAIL TOGETHER!”

Note: After voting, District Herald may occasionally notify you of the latest breaking news.

Education

High School Football Players Suspended for Carrying Thin Blue, Thin Red Line Flags Before 9/11 Game

Published

on

High School football players in Florida have been suspended from their team for carrying Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line flags during their football game on 9/11 to honor the first responders who died during the attack on the World Trade Center.

One of the young men on the Little Miami High School football team is the son of a police officer, another, the son of a firefighter.

“Were you trying to make some kind of a political statement here?” a Local 12 reporter asked Brady Williams, a senior cornerback, who carried the Thin Blue Line flag.

“No,” he answered quickly. “Not at all. I was just doing it to honor the people that lost their lives 19 years ago.”

Jarad Bentley, whose father is a firefighter, carried the Thin Red Line flag.

“I was all for it,” he said. “Because my dad is a firefighter, and if it had been him killed on 9/11, I would have wanted someone to do it for him.”

The young men had asked the school for permission to carry the flags on to the field before the game, and the school refused. They were told that if they did, there would be consequences.

Still, the boys did it anyways.

“Listen,” Williams said. “I don’t care what my consequences are. So long as my message gets across, I’ll be happy.”

Local 12 reports that “Williams and Bentley heard from the athletic director Monday afternoon and received an indefinite suspension.” The station said that they had called the superintendent about the boys a few hours prior.

Superintendent Gregory Power claimed that they denied the boys’ request because they don’t want to “set a precedent” for “political” flags being carried out on the field.

“We did not want to place ourselves in a circumstance where another family might want a different flag to come out of the tunnel, one that may be [one that] many other families may not agree with from a political perspective,” Power claimed.

Continue Reading

US News

DC Police Helicopter Hit With Lasers By Rioters Forced to Make Emergency Landing — Crew Member Hospitalized

One of the crew members had to be hospitalized due to vision loss in one eye.

Published

on

A DC Metropolitan Police helicopter had to make an emergency landing on Saturday night as it was hit by laser pointers shined at it by rioters.

A law enforcement source tells the District Herald that one of the crew members had to be hospitalized due to vision loss in one eye.

Rioters were also shining the blinding lasers in the eyes of officers on the ground.

In July, it was revealed that federal officers in Portland may have been permanently blinded by the lasers, that are becoming increasingly common at the riots.

“When officers responded to put out these fires, glass bottles were thrown and lasers – which can cause permanent blindness – were shined in their eyes,” Federal Protective Service (FPS) Deputy Director of Operations Richard Cline said at a press conference at the time. “We have three officers who currently have eye injuries and they may not recover sight in those eyes from those laser attacks.”

There were multiple helicopters circling throughout the area all evening to keep track of the rioters.

Rioters from all over the nation, including many familiar faces from the Portland riots, have been causing chaos throughout the city for several days.

The riot escalated when the militants began to throw bricks at police officers.

Earlier in the evening, a speaker in the newly named “Black Lives Matter Plaza” asserted that “I’m at the point where I’m going to put the police in a f*cking grave. I’m at the point where I want to burn the f*cking White House down!”

There were multiple arrests for assaulting police officers, but it seems as though rioters are being quickly caught and released the next day by the US Attorney’s Office.

The riot in DC is currently ongoing and the District Herald will be continuing to provide updates as the situation progresses.

Continue Reading

US News

BREAKING: Member of Patriot Prayer Fatally Shot in Portland

The rioters also attacked the founder of Patriot Prayer, Joey Gibson.

Published

on

A member of the Pro-Trump organization Patriot Prayer has been shot and killed in Portland amidst the riots.

Early reports on social media had claimed that a black male was shot by a “Trump supporter,” but that was not the case.

The victim was a white male who was reportedly wearing a hat with the Patriot Prayer insignia on it.

“A Patriot with camouflage gear with infidel and thin blue line patches, was shot and killed during pro-Trump car caravan through downtown Portland at around 8:45pm,” independent reporter Andrew Duncomb tweeted.

“Just heard that the man killed is affiliated with my group. Just had drinks with him last Saturday,” Duncomb added.

Speaking to the District Herald, Duncomb said that “all I got to say right now is he was a good Patriot and this news has hit my group of friends pretty hard. It’s time for Trump to hear our cries and clean up Portland. We will not let them kill us anymore.”

Duncomb added, “shame on Ted Wheeler and Kate Brown. His blood is on their hands. They allowed this violence to happen for over three months. How many people need to die before the elected officials will do their job to protect its citizens?”

Following the fatal shooting, rioters also surrounded and assaulted Patriot Prayer founder Joey Gibson. When Gibson retreated into a gas station, rioters broke the windows and threatened the owner.

The shooting victim’s name has not yet been released, though it is known, to allow time for the family to be notified.

Duncomb, clearly outraged, tweeted a call for patriotic Americans to come to Portland on September 19 to stand against the rioters.

The situation in Portland is ongoing. The District Herald will be providing updates as they become available.

Continue Reading

Trending